By Michael Ogar
Born on August 14, 1965, Agiriye Monima Harry is a renowned Orthopaedic Surgeon having over 18 years of experience with a particular interest in Knee and Hip Arthroplasty.
He was born in Lagos to parents of Delga origin in the Rivers State of Nigeria.
Early Life & Education
Harry started his educational life in Lagos, where he was primarily brought up attaining his first school leaving certificate at Ewe-Nla Nursery and Primary School in Surulere in 1975; and in 1980 obtained his West Africa School Certificate at Federal Government College in the same state. He later moved to Port Harcourt in 1981, by the year 1989 he had obtained a Bachelor of Medical science in Anatomy, a bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery.
Between January 2004 to January 2006, he was head of department, Accident and emergency, BMSH. Coordinator of River State Emergency Medical Services from April 2003 through October 2007; and director of River State Emergency Medical Services from October 2007 through 2013. Director of medical service, River State Ministry of Health from May 2013 through July 2013; director of special programmes at River State Emergency Medical Services from July 2013 through August 2015; appointed permanent secretary or River State on August 2015.
Research, Presentations and Publications
1. “Effects of thermal injury on yellow elastic connective tissue” being B.Med.Sc. Anatomy thesis – 1985
2. “Length and cost of hospital stay in patients with femoral shaft fractures” being fellowship thesis – 2001
3. “River State emergency medical service: assessment and way forward” presented at NOA in Owerri – 2010
4. “Emergency medical services: management of multiple casualty situations and disasters” presented at NMA in Port Harcourt – 2010
5. “Fourteen digit polydactyl in the upper limbs case presentation” presented at the International College of Surgeons in Port Harcourt – 2015