Type of Contract: Fixed-Term Contract
Duration: 5 months (extension dependent on the availability of funding)
Duty Station: Mubi, Adamawa, Nigeria
Summary of the Role
The WASH Coordinator will be charged with overseeing the planning, implementation, and supervision of technical WASH programming in coordination with the project staff. The WASH coordinator will manage the prioritization and coordination of the start-up and implementation of interventions while also leading the training of staff and stakeholders in WASH-related topics. The WASH coordinator is tasked with enhancing sectoral activities and providing technical management of the program at all implementation locations. The coordinator, with an emphasis on disaster readiness and response, must be able to adapt to a fluid programming context and deliver essential services quickly and efficiently. The WASH coordinator will also represent ROHI in the WASH coordination meetings, and deliver timely and accurate reports to the donor.
Management and Implementation:
- Manage emergency WASH interventions in a prioritized manner in coordination with agencies, both governmental and non-governmental, and the WASH sector.
- Work closely with the team on both programs and support functions to provide capacity-building support for the program team in WASH, including setting up community-based training on early warning action.
- Mobilization of communities towards preparing for and responding to emergencies in their communities.
- Work closely with the programs team and operations department for emergency WASH program supplies and activity planning.
- Make sure that services are delivered in a timely, safe, and high-quality way by coming up with the right and technical interventions. This includes planning for a crisis.
- In collaboration with other actors, lead the development of a hygiene promotion program that is suitable for the local environment and would be accepted by beneficiaries.
- Ensure that the most appropriate drainage management system, including gullies, is designed and put into place while taking maximum advantage of the available resources in the area.
- Write technical reports for both internal and external audiences within deadlines that have already been set, using donor or organization formats when necessary.
- Periodically review progress in achieving program objectives and targets in collaboration with team members and the program manager.
· Manage, lead, and provide direction to the WASH team in line with organizational strategy.
Information and Coordination:
- Provide regular updates and technical guidance to the team on progress, priorities, and challenges.
- Establish working connections with key stakeholders, including partners, governmental officials, and other relevant actors.
- Represent WASH programs to national authorities, agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), donors, and other stakeholders.
- Establish networks with partners, such as other NGOs and local partners, to enhance technical capacity and strategic partnerships, including active involvement in WASH and relevant cluster activities.
- Ensure the contribution to internal and external documents of ROHI for everything concerning the WASH sector.
- Attend the opening and closing sessions as well as the grant evaluation meetings.
- Formulate the overall aims and objectives of the WASH response program through a clear WASH strategy for senior management.
- Support further development of WASH interventions through the use of project conceptualization and planning skills such as SWOT analysis and stakeholder mapping.
- Ensure and advocate/lobby that the WASH program design considers health, gender, protection, operation and maintenance, and sustainability.
- Develop concept notes, letters of intent, proposals, and budgets related to the above.
- Ensure spending is appropriate and on time for grants to meet program objectives by developing and maintaining work plans, spending plans, and procurement plans.
- Collaborate closely and coordinate with finance and logistics to ensure that program activities and expenses are on schedule.
- Ensure compliance with donor rules in the implementation of projects.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Implement the appropriate supervisory, monitoring, and evaluation systems for ROHI’s emergency WASH interventions.
- Propose a monitoring and evaluation system for WASH activities that will make it easier to analyze the data for ROHI’s strategic plan indicators in collaboration with the MEAL team.
- Prepare and submit donor reports on time, including success stories.
- Ensure the consolidation of data on the beneficiaries reached and share with the MEAL team.
- Ensure that gender, protection, and environmental impact are integrated into all deliverables under its direct responsibility.
Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- At least four to five years of work experience designing and implementing water and sanitation systems in IDPs, refugee and migrant contexts, maintaining sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 2 years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Field experience in managing water, sanitation and hygiene programs in complex humanitarian settings, including in emergency responses;
- Experience in emergency and early recovery phases, including assessments and the design and delivery of adequate water supply and hygiene promotion interventions in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Experience in developing WASH strategy, clear and realistic activity planning;
- Experience and understanding of key intuitional donors’ policies, guidelines, and strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in WASH proposal development and preparation of internal and donor reports
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions.
- The ability to effectively analyze complex problems and suggest solutions to have a positive impact;
- Ability and understanding of the WASH sector and its hardware and software components;
- Ability to effectively present information (both written and verbally) and to respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field and head office, counterparts, and senior government;
- Demonstrated knowledge of linking WASH activities with other humanitarian sectors;
- Ability to understand gender-related challenges within the beneficiary groups
- Proficiency with computer and database system.
Ethical conduct for ROHI staff:
Restoration of Hope Initiative maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in awarding and administering contracts. No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported/ by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved. Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization that employs or is about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award. A disciplinary action will be applied for violations of such standards by ROHI officers, employees, or agents.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within ROHI and amongst beneficiaries served by ROHI
Child safeguarding Policy
ROHI frowns at any form of child molestation and actively promotes child protection.
Restoration of Hope Initiative is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran. Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ROHI never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to us.
Fluent in English (speaking, reading and writing) is strongly desired.
Knowledge of Hausa is an added advantage.