By Jordan Ellis
The man many expect Tyson Fury to fight next, Mahmoud Charr, was once brutally knocked out by the recently usurped cruiserweight king, Mairis Briedis.
Charr’s last and worst defeat came in 2015 when he travelled to Russia to take on Briedis who wanted to test himself against a heavyweight.
The natural cruiserweight produced a picture-perfect punch that put Charr to sleep and sent him face-first through the ropes with just five seconds remaining in the fifth round.
It was certainly a contender for KO of the Year but Briedis was ultimately beat out for the prize by Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez who brutally dispatched of James Kirkland a couple of months earlier.
Since then, Charr has picked up five wins over low-level opponents and taken more than three years away from his boxing career which appeared to be done at the elite level.
‘The Lativian Punisher’ Briedis went on to push Oleksandr Usyk to the brink of defeat in 2018 and won a slew of cruiserweight titles before losing to Jai Opetaia in July.
He also bizarrely called out Jake Paul in several social media posts and even got a tattoo dedicated to the YouTuber-turned-boxer on his leg.
At this point, Fury and Anthony Joshua have publicly agreed to a December 3 date for an all-British heavyweight fight that has been years in the making.
Bridges is maths teacher turned world champ boxer who wears lingerie to weigh-in
Fury ‘very disappointed’ as Warren says he hasn’t spoken to Gypsy King about AJ fight
Slow-motion shows Mayweather got NAILED by hard shot in exhibition as fans question KO
Usyk reveals he is in negotiations over unification fight with Fury next year
Kell Brook considering coming out of retirement with potential opponent named
Hearn and Warren still working together despite Fury saying Joshua fight is off
However, there are significant doubts it will go ahead despite contracts being issued and sent to Joshua’s camp less than two weeks ago.
Fury decided to set a deadline of Monday, September 26 at 5pm for Joshua to sign a deal to fight him, telling talkSPORT: “Monday is the deadline. If they don’t sign the contract by Monday, he’s out the window and he’ll be exposed for the s***house he is!”
Now that the deadline has been and gone, the 34-year-old insists his fight with Joshua is off, despite the fact both teams are still working behind the scenes to get the job done.
Fury has claimed that he will face former WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight champion, Charr, after the 37-year-old German challenged him to a fight on social media.
Fury reposted Charr’s call out on Instagram alongside the caption, “If he don’t sign today you are in big G and you can show them how a real man throws down!”
Charr claims he has already signed to fight Fury as well as Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce who is fresh off a career-best win over Joseph Parker in Manchester this past weekend.
“I have signed an agreement to face the three heavyweight fighters of Frank Warren,” he told Boxing News.
“Tyson Fury, Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce.
“I am ready to fight any of them but the first one I would pick is Tyson Fury. I want Tyson Fury.”
It’s hard to see how Charr can be viewed as a respectable opponent for Fury, considering he hasn’t fought a live opponent in seven years and the last time he did fight anyone of note a cruiserweight viciously knocked him out.