By Michael Benson
Chris Eubank Sr has now called on people in the boxing industry to boycott his son’s fight with Conor Benn on Saturday night.
Eubank Jr is set to clash with the son of his father’s great rival Nigel Benn in a catchweight showdown at the O2 Arena in London.
Last month, Eubank Sr spoke out against the fight and claimed he would be pulling his son from the contest.
He said this was because of concerns over his son making the agreed 157lbs catchweight, followed by the rehydration clause limit the following day.
Eubank Sr said in quotes reported by the Mail: “We have to be strict otherwise lives are put in danger and my son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again.”
Eubank Jr’s brother, Sebastian, tragically died aged 29 last year.
Promoter Kalle Sauerland insisted the fight was going ahead regardless with his charge Eubank Jr proceeding as planned despite his father’s remarks.
Now though, as fight week begins, Eubank Sr has spoken out once more by getting in contact with former fighter Spencer Fearon, who now has his own podcast ‘The Fight Is Right‘.
Fearon revealed: “I get a phone call – because I said recently, ‘Don’t be surprised if Conor Benn actually wins this fight.’
“So I get a phone call from the father [Eubank Sr].
“First, he was in the papers about two weeks ago saying, ‘I’ve already lost one son, I don’t want to lose another.’
“I realised the seriousness of this when he’s talking about the hatred that Nigel had for him when they were fighting…
“This is what Eubank has said, this is Eubank’s statement, it’s a very simple statement.
“He said, ‘Dear Spencer, boycott the fight. You know what 3lbs beneath the middleweight limit at 33 years old can do, this is how brain injuries occur.’”
As things stand, Eubank Sr’s calls for a boycott seemingly have not caught on.
It is unclear whether or not he will make an appearance in the promotion on fight week.