Vacancy No: 009
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector, and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974.
- From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Digital Transformation Center (DTC) Programme:
- The Digital Transformation Centre Nigeria (DTC Nigeria) is cofunded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the European Union (EU) and implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
- The project focuses primarily on digitalisation and entrepreneurship. The aim of the project ‘is to improve the capacities of the innovation ecosystem for the growth of the digital economy in the following areas – policy implementation, performance improvement of organisations and networks service providers of the digital economy, scalable digital solutions, and digital skills.
The project will focus on the following outputs:
- Output 1 – Cooperation between political actors and actors in national and international innovation ecosystems is improved: By promoting innovation-friendly framework conditions for the digital economy by improving cooperation between policy actors and actors in the innovation ecosystem from the private sector, science, and research as well as civil society.
- Output 2 – Innovation support organisations are developed and supported to offer a range of services to MSMEs to implement digital innovations leading to digital transformation of MSMEs.
- Output 3 – Validated digital solutions are available to the Nigerian economy: Promoting the production and validation of new and existing innovative digital solutions for use by MSMEs in Nigeria.
- Output 4 – The skills of women and young people to use digital solutions for their economic activities are improved through the harmonization of digital and entrepreneurial skills.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The Technical Advisor for Digital Policy will work closely with the Team Lead to implement activities related to improving the innovation friendly conditions for the digital economy (Output 1), especially by liaising with relevant government actors (NITDA), identifying capacity building needs, supporting in the implementation of policies, providing technical assistance, formulating initiatives, and training programmes and ensuring their implementation.
- The Advisor will collaborate with the DTC Team, to support the implementation of related activities in other outputs.
He/she will manage the following areas of responsibility:
- Supporting the Implementing Partner in the development and implementation of participatory formats of policy making/ and innovation promotion at both federal and state level.
- Support through research to contextualize, improve and execute existing participatory policy framework and processes at federal and state-level
- Support NITDA to contextualize and improve existing participatory policy making frameworks and processes by developing models to bring relevant stakeholders together, building capacities and piloting the framework with at least two states.
- Support NITDA, by creating and coordinating a technical working group.
- Cooperation with public and private sector
- Liaising between the project and the implementing partner to ensure sustainability in the established partnership
- Providing strategic guidance and support to policy level partners in Nigeria on matters related to joint activities and agreed upon collaboration areas
- Identifying new opportunities to work with other ministries, departments, and agencies in the state and/or federal government.
- Implement capacity-building formats to drive the development of the digital innovation ecosystem: Build capacities of policy makers, civil servants and bureaucrats in digital innovation and entrepreneurship and other topics relevant to improve digital innovation for economic growth
- Support networking and policy dialogues between national and international policy actors and innovation ecosystem actors: Bring together national as well as international policy and innovation ecosystem actors by using platforms aimed at fostering peer-to-peer exchange, knowledge transfer, and inclusive and participatory policy making
- Support of key policy institutions to develop and implement a digital transformation dashboard for monitoring and accelerating result-oriented digital innovation outcomes:
- Support key policy actors (NITDA) to transition from policy framework design to implementable digital platforms for MSME’s and service providers, through digital transformation metrics (digital literacy policy by NITDA, and the digital transformation mandate).
- Build a dashboard that identifies metrics (data analysis, data collection and M&E), validates policy, allows for room of submission of innovative solutions, serve as a national data pool for data sharing from inter from support agencies into the dashboard, and access to online digital policy skillsre monitoring and progress reports in collaboration with Team.
The Technical Advisor performs the following tasks:
Advising partner institutions:
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of project/programme plans and activities in close consultation and collaboration with Project Lead and counterparts. This includes:
- Cooperation with the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) in the coordination and planning of planned joint activities,
- Close cooperation with the Focal Point and the technical working group and project team during the planning, implementation, and monitoring of joint activities
- Cooperation with public and private stakeholders and other digital innovation ecosystem actors on joint activities
- Develops and organises quality assurance measures and
suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives.
- Promotes the application of participatory planning methods and design thinking methodology, the inclusion of civil society, the empowerment of women and the consideration of the interests of minorities.
Provide technical input and support implementation of other outputs:
- Provides technical advisory support to team members and partners in the development and implementation of workplans and activities in related fields.
- Develops technical documents e.g., concept notes and Terms of References in his/her domain and contributes to other outputs.
- Provides quality assurance of related activities for the project and partners.
- Oversees consultants and ensures that deliverables are submitted and in accordance with contract timelines and requirements included in the ToR.
- Work with administration and finance team to ensure the smooth implementation of project activities in his/her.
Development and Management of Strategic Stakeholder Relationships:
- Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, local communities, relevant organisations, nongovernmental agencies, other GIZ projects and individuals in the project/programme environment; builds up a professional network of relevant actors and maintains good working relationships.
- Supports by facilitating and advising Project Management and Country Office visits, engagements, and communication with relevant policy level partners in the regions.
- Designs, prepares and implements workshops, seminars and other events (identify events, organize, and hold own events).
- Communication on relevant activities, including showcasing good examples.
Knowledge management, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Ensures knowledge transfer and sharing with GIZ projects and partners.
- Co-implements M&E and knowledge management in collaboration with Team.
- Ensures indicators and milestones are achieved on time
- Assists with research activities and studies which benefit joint programmes
- Executing other tasks as required by the Project Lead.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- University degree (B.Sc./BA & M.Sc./ MBA) Political Science, Public Policy, Public Relations, Social Sciences, Digital Transformation Regulation, Digital Innovation, Economics, Business Informatics or a similar subject.
- At least 10 years of general work experience
- At least five years of professional experience in policy development and/or implementation (including public policy cycle), government relations, public sector engagement and policy communication strategy.
- At least two years of professional experience and communication, network management and cooperation with the public and private sector.
- At least two years working experience in the field of digital innovation or skills or digital policy.
- Experience in capacity building of policy stakeholders
- Extensive knowledge of digital transformation, technologies, and the digital innovation ecosystem in Nigeria.
Desired additional qualifications, competencies, and experiences:
- Strong writing, documentation and editing skills (reports, policy analysis & review, policy briefs etc).
- Excellent relationship management and presentation skills
- Strong research and analytic skills
- Project timeline management
- Knowledge of Start-up and MSME promotion and entrepreneurship.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, structure tasks, familiarize with new topics quickly and comprehensively.
- High social competence and ability to work in an international team.
- Open minded and ability to engage partners and stakeholders.
- Business fluency in English is vital.
- Previous work experience and international development organisations is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the MS Office suite.