Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Under the overall leadership of the ESARO Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, the Technical Adviser works within an interdisciplinary team providing integrated programme and technical support to the region. S/he also liaises with other units at the HQ level, such as the Programme and Technical Divisions and the UNFPA Technical Network, ensuring the timeliness, adequacy, relevance, and quality of technical support to UNFPA operations.
You would be responsible for:
- Contribute to active environmental scanning (in area of expertise and work) at regional levels, in order to identify opportunities and gaps to facilitate timely UNFPA interventions.
- Contribute inputs into the identification and synthesis of substantive trends in order to produce new and cutting-edge knowledge for programmes.
- Assist with analysis of UNFPA HIV prevention strategy for adaptation to the region, ensuring operational integration into regional programmes.
- Contribute to proposals for UNFPA interventions on HIV prevention in emergency preparedness, humanitarian assistance, recovery and transition and relief efforts.
- Contribute inputs reflecting the HIV prevention perspectives within the lCPD30 agenda, and SDG goals. Through regional strategic planning and policy documents of assistance to intergovernmental organizations, as part of a strategy to spotlight, UNFPA comparative advantage in the global and regional HIV-AIDS response;
- Contribute to maintaining and utilizing of the network of sub-regional and regional experts and institutions as part of the larger objective of capacity building and transfer of skills and programme ownership to beneficiaries.;
- Document and disseminate programme delivery experiences, lessons learned for capacity building, advocacy, policy-making and effective programming;
- Participate in the implementation of regional collaboration schemes with UN agencies, academia, research and training institutions, think tanks, centers of excellence, and professional societies in furtherance of the UNFPA Strategic Plan and the advancement of the ICPD30 agenda and SDG goals.
- Collaborate closely on an intra and inter Thematic Unit basis, to communicate and exchange information and situational analysis with concerned parties and stakeholders, as follow-up and programmatic/technical response.
- Contribute regional perspective into the preparation, revision, adaption of training materials, manuals, and tools, ensuring their availability and monitored use in order to assess their effectiveness for programme implementation;
- Contribute to the development of Theories of change for HIV-related outcomes and outputs of the regional programme and also support country offices to do the same for country-level outcomes and outputs.
- Contribute to the promotion of technical knowledge, programme evidence, lessons learned, and success stories for use in improving programmes, maintaining accessible databases on best practices and innovation.
- Prepare subject matter documents including but not limited to briefing materials, best practices, innovation initiatives, lessons learned, and success stories for policy dialogues at sub-regional, regional, and global levels.
- Carry out any other duties as may be requested.
- Within the context of an enhanced ESARO support to Country Programmes
- Contribute inputs and if assigned, participate in activities to strengthen national capacities, assuring in collaboration with CO, the substantive hands-on involvement of national experts and institutions as an integral part of the programming, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation processes.
- Contribute inputs into the mobilization of social and political actions for national policies and programmes, promoting data for development approaches for policy making, programming, and programme assessment activities.
- Assist in identifying key entry points, partners and approaches for mainstreaming HIV prevention strategies.
- Provide tools and work with country programmes to analyze data for anticipating needs for technical, policy and programmatic assistance.
- Assure familiarization with UNFPA HIV Prevention strategy and broader UN investment frameworks and progamme action areas, ensuring interventions that are integrated into country programmes.
- Provide inputs, as assigned, into the processes for preparation of national development frameworks, national HIV and AIDS strategic plans, country action plans and all related documents as well as assuring in the process, substantive hands-on involvement of national experts and institutions as integral part of the activities.
- Assist with review and if needed, undertake in collaboration with country offices, preparation of the country-level proposals, and the attendant resource mobilization strategies to assure expected standards and quality.
- Contribute to the promotion of technical knowledge, innovation, programme evidence, lessons learned, and success stories for use in improving country programmes.
- Assist with clarification of existing UNFPA policies and UN system-wide agreements as well as in respect of new approaches and techniques where related precedents or guidelines are generally unavailable.
- Provide support inputs into the adaptation and use of programming, monitoring, research evaluation, and reporting guidelines and tools.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced University Degree in Public health, medicine, sociology, HIV prevention work, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, management, or other field directly related to the substantive areas of the role.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which at least seven years are at the international level;
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; and programme experience;
- Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community;
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable;
- Familiarity with ICT/ERP is an asset;
- Field experience is strongly desirable.