Reporting to the Regional Senior Staff Accountant, Africa, the Regional Staff Accountant is ensuring financial & tax compliance of multiple countries in the Africa region, follows local as well as company processes, policies and procedures as may be directed, working with the local professional service providers, and coordinating with global functions under guidance of Regional Senior Staff Accountant. The candidate ensures a complete flow of tasks right from the requirements during the set up of a new entity to ensuring full local and global compliances of the entities assigned including month-end processes. The candidate will work with various team members in a collaborative environment to improve business processes, training materials, data clean-up, and on-going support including assignments during software transitions. This is an ideal position for an independent contributor.
- Manages all regional country compliances (including providing trial balances and other supporting documents) with in-country local providers for accounting, tax (income tax, VAT/GST/Sales tax, property tax, business tax and annual reports) and filing purposes;
- Ensures journal entries are properly documented and supported;
Makes payroll postings and other entries in the accounting system, provides support to the Treasury in fund-transfer process;
- Prepares local financial information in collaboration with local Partners, reviews and files various returns;
- Drives monthly reconciliation process for the regional financials during month-end close;
- Functional Accounting System expert, able to provide training as required on overall processes and procedures;
- Coordinates with global functions for any required adjustments to the financials, variance analysis and always maintaining supporting accounting documentation;
- Supports the Compliance Team in entity set up and opening of bank accounts;
- Support data migration as well as setting up of new accounting software as may be required;
- Partners cross-departmental team and provide relevant financial information required for any business operation;
- Works with Regional Senior Staff Accountant, Regional Finance Director and other team members for any ad-hoc project as may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in Accounting, Finance, or a closely related field is preferred.
- Minimum experience of 5 years in accounting or financial environment.
- Multi-national exposure is essential for this role.
- OHADA experience beneficial
- Audit experience from management accounting or audit firm is an advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Data driven person, must be detail oriented with an eye for mistakes.
- Good organizational, time management, customer service skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Proficiency in MS Excel is required.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to work with a purpose — simplifying global expansion while supporting sustainable communities around the world
- A diverse and inclusive environment, with over 40 nationalities represented, 90+ languages spoken, and a workforce made up of 52% women
- Flexible PTO and birthdays off
- Growth and development opportunities with access to Coursera – a leading learning and certification provider
- The opportunity to challenge yourself in a high-performing organization and leave each day knowing you have made an impact.