Officer, Operations at UNAIDS
Vacancy No.: UNAIDS/23/FT34
Mandate of the Department
- The Country Office provides leadership and coordinates the expanded UN system response in Country. Using an equity and equality lens as part of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Country Office scales up HIV services focused on key populations and locations most at risk.
- The Country Office promotes effective use of strategic information to better understand and track the epidemic and its trends, and to measure progress and sustainable impact of the response in Country.
- It supports efforts to strengthen the capacities of communities and their meaningful engagement in health, social protection, and human rights mechanisms, and provides intellectual support and technical guidance as necessary to national partners and policymakers.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities of the Position
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of Country Director, the Officer, Operations, ensures that effective financial and administrative management is implemented and maintained.
- This specifically includes the management of the operating budget, financial analysis and reporting, and human resources management.
He / she has the following key responsibilities:
Overall operations administration:
- Provides technical advice to the Director and staff of the office/country office on the full range of operations management: administrative, human resources, budgetary, financial, information technology, travel, procurement and contracting.
- Ensures the efficient delivery of client-oriented operations and administration services including monitoring of financial, administrative, and human resources-related activities.
- Monitors of the implementation of the corporate administrative processes and procedures in the office and ensures that staff are oriented and capable of using them.
- Monitors and assesses the implementation of operational activities and makes recommendations for systems and procedures strengthening. Drafts guidelines for improved systems and procedures in the office aiming at overall performance enhancement.
- Prepares and adjusts the office´s operational workplans coordinating appropriate inputs and clearances from management and other staff in the office and, if pertinent, across the organization.
- Supports the Manager, Regional Operations in streamlining operations in the region/sub-region.
Financial administration and related matters:
- Verifies the validity of expenditure requests by ensuring adherence to applicable rules and procedures, as well as the availability of funds, before submission to the authorized officer(s) for approval.
- Ensures timely payments to suppliers, reviews bank reconciliations, petty cash accounts and clears monthly financial statements for signature by the authorized officer(s).
- Prepares and adjusts the office´s budget coordinating appropriate inputs and clearances from management and other staff in the office and, if pertinent, across the organization.
- Prepares periodic financial and narrative reports in an appropriate format, conducts analyses of budget implementation, and makes recommendations to improve the efficient use of resources.
- Ensures the implementation of agreed audit recommendations, advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls and reporting mechanisms.
Office administration activities:
- Represents UNAIDS in the UN Operations Management Team (OMT) including other UN inter-agencies consultative and management committees
- Participates in management of common premises/services arrangements and the harmonization of the UN common system.
- Responsible for the office assets register including timely registering of assets and disposal of obsolete assets. Reconciles the assets register with the physical inventory records.
- Ensures smooth management of office transport and optimal utilization of drivers time and vehicles including reconciliation of driving log and fuel consumption and reporting on monthly basis.
- Manages communications systems including pouch, mail and bookkeeping systems.
- Provides technical guidance to other operations staff in the office.
Other operations management activities:
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation and management of supply and service contracts and agreements, including conducting spot-checks, liquidating final payments, closing contracts and evaluating contractors.
- Supervises operations staff in the office and manages routine human resources-related issues and staff development activities, escalating matters as appropriate.
- Administers protocol and associated matters.
- Ensures compliance with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS), escalating any security and safety concerns as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Essential: Advanced University Degree at Master’s level or equivalent in Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or another area related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Desirable: Specialization or a relevant professional qualification in accounting, financial control, audit or a related discipline.
- Essential: A minimum of 5 years of operations management experience, including in one or more of the following areas: result-based budgeting, finance, logistics, travel and contract management, human resources management and learning, including at the international level.
- Desirable: Relevant international organizations’ experience, preferably including the United Nations system. Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning Systems
- Commitment to the AIDS response
- Respect for diversity
- Working in Teams
- Communication with Impact
- Applying Expertise
- Delivering Results
- Driving Change and Innovation
- Being Accountable
- Vision and strategic thinking
- Leading Teams
- Building Relationships and Networks
- Developing and Empowering Others
- Managing Performance and Resources
- Vision and Strategic Thinking
- Exercising Sound Judgement
- Essential: Proficiency in English.
- Desirable: Knowledge of additional UN official languages.
Annual Salary (Net of tax)
NGN25,344.462 at single rate