- The Managing Director will be responsible for controlling and overseeing all business operations, people and ventures.
- The MD will be accountable for the overall success of the business.
- The Managing Director is expected to be the strategist and a leader who is able to steer the company to the most profitable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long-term goals.
Managing Director Responsibilities:
- Directing the activities of the business while ensuring bottom-line profitability.
- Providing strategic advice to the board of directors, plan cost-effective business strategies and develop new ideas based on market and industry.
- Establishing company direction, aligned with the board and shareholder goals.
- Implementing the policies of a company and making sure that they are adhered to.
- Delegating duties to appropriate people within the business.
- Develop reporting tools to monitor the ongoing performance of the company.
- Communicating company reports and achievements to the board, shareholders, and business partners.
- Maintaining and monitoring budgets to make sure that the business operates efficiently from a financial perspective.
- Guiding and maintain the performance of the company.
- Supervising executives and managers and providing leadership and motivation to all employees.
- Establishing relationships with industry and marketing experts, thought leadership through publication and build the company public profile through networking, conferences, and speaking engagements.
- Making key decisions regarding the organisation and being accountable for those decisions.
- Carrying out appropriate market research in order to make informed strategy decisions.
- Introducing initiatives to optimise market opportunities and the use of strengths while minimising risks.
- Preparing long-term and short-term goals and company objectives.
- Leading strategy for new development and clients.
- Analysing problematic situations and occurrences and provide solutions to ensure company survival and growth.
- Defining operational goals and making sure that the organisation works towards achieving them.
- Liaising with directors to ensure a consistent approach to running the organisation.
- Serving as the public face of the company.
Skills and Qualifications
The skills and qualifications that a Managing Director is usually expected to have include:
- MBA or Degree educated or other relevant industry qualifications.
- Proven ability to lead.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Highly developed organisational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills that can be used when making critical decisions.
- A high level of proven project management ability.
- The ability to think critically.
- An in-depth understanding of productivity management and how to implement change to improve productivity levels.
- Significant experience in the area of business development.
- Highly developed level of strategic thinking that has been proven in a business environment.
- Significant experience of working in a senior management role.