Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Job ID: R-89459
- As Legal Entity Controller you will be responsible for managing accounting and tax compliance of the legal entities in Nigeria and other entities within West Africa and working as the key local Controllership business partner with the Franchise and Africa Operating Unit (OU) Leadership Team to proactively identify and mitigate strategic and transactional accounting and tax risks.
- Additionally, you will be overseeing compliance with US GAAP, IFRS and/or other local accounting regulations as well as Company accounting policies, and be safeguarding the resources of the Company by ensuring compliance with Statutory requirements (no fines/penalties), enforcing internal controls and Company policies, and continuously improving them to ensure smooth operations of the business.
What You will Do For Us
Accounting and Reporting:
- Manage non-financial reporting to headquarters in Atlanta, including impairment surveys, legal reserves, payments to government officials, etc.
- Review monthly computation of service fees and fees & commission.
- Review monthly legal entity Profit and Loss´ (P&Ls), balance sheet and narratives and quarterly legal entity balance sheets and narratives.
- Co-ordinate the completion, review and sign-off of the Annual Financial Statements with Lead LEC, Finance Director, Statutory Reporting Centre of Excellence Team, Corporate Tax Counsel and external auditors.
- Ensure items highlighted at monthly Balance Sheet Risk and Opportunities meetings are addressed and acted upon within agreed timelines.
- Review and approve purchasing contracts as controller approver for countries covered.
- Plan for annual functional OPEX budget & track against actuals using rolling estimates.
- Manage relations and request from local banking team as may be required from time to time.
- Responsible for interacting as needed with other areas, i.e. Genpact Service team, Accounting Research, Corporate Treasury, Corporate Tax, Controllers Group, etc.
- Review Accountant in Charge Memoranda (AICs), Standard Practices and Procedures (SPPs), etc. that impact Coca-Cola business in order to ensure that the financial statements are being properly reported.
Tax Planning, Mitigation and Compliance:
- Proactively work with the Operating Unit/Franchise functions to mitigate all tax risks and support Commercial Finance and Franchise teams in resolving indirect tax issues (excise, customs, VAT, withholding tax, corporate income tax and PAYE) affecting the system.
- Review & approve significant contracts, agreements and business processes for compliance and tax efficiency.
- Maintain tax tracker and engage the OU and Atlanta corporate tax department on all tax issues arising and progress in resolving them. Advice on risks and opportunities arising from tax audits.
- Review of the monthly VAT, withholding tax; quarterly deferred tax and corporation tax computations and related journal vouchers for posting into the ledger and prepare/review monthly tax returns and follow up for timely filing with, payment to and reconciliation with Self-Assessment Returns (SARS).
- Approval of monthly/quarterly general ledger (GL) tax account reconciliations.
- In liaison with Regional Controller, engage senior tax counsel, external tax advisers and tax authorities and coordinate responses to all tax audits and queries within timelines agreed with or demanded by tax authorities.
- Collaborate with Legal and Company secretarial service providers to ensure compliance with Companies’ Act and other local/secretarial requirements.
- Monthly/periodic review of tax authorities´ statement of accounts for all taxes to ensure payments are correctly allocated, receipt of withholding tax credit notes on bottler invoices and any tax refunds are confirmed by treasury.
- Proactively manage work assigned to external advisor to ensure that agreed timelines are met and quality standards are adhered to within the approved budget.
Operational Control and Compliance:
- Support the quarterly Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) certification process for the Africa OU
- Work with Franchise Finance to ensure proper documentation, communication and implementation of all relevant Company policies and procedures.
- Support internal and external audit process conducted by the Corporate Audit Department.
- University Degree preferably in Finance, Accounting or related and registered qualified professional Accountant (CA, CPA, ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent).
- 5-10 years’ experience in applied Accounting, preferably gained in a multinational environment (Big 4 or FMCG Multinational).
- Tax Planning and Compliance.
- Strategic Financial Consulting.
- Risk Management, Internal Controls (e.g. SOX, Segregation of Duties, etc.) and Auditing.
- US GAAP, IFRS and local GAAP.
- Advanced SAP and Excel skills.
- Treasury appreciation.
- Analytical skills.
- Systems thinking.