Image Credits: Getty Images
Former Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has been hit with a three-match ban.
The Fenerbahce manager saw red in the aftermath of his team’s loss to Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Cup, grabbing fellow manager Okan Buruk’s nose.
The incident came following an equally chaotic match, in which Mert Hakan Yandas, Kerem Demirbay, Bans Alper Yilmaz, and former United midfielder Fred were sent off in stoppage time.
Galatasaray went 2-0 up in the first half, with two goals from Victor Osimhen, before Sebastian Szymanski halved the deficit.
Fenerbahce could not find the all-important equaliser, though, and Galatasaray progressed.
This latest ban for Mourinho follows a four-match sanction he received in February after being accused of making racist comments, also against Galatasaray.
Fenerbahce released a statement after the game, accusing Buruk of planning the incident.
They said: “This was a planned provocation [by Buruk] and as part of this plan the individual acted as if he had been ‘shot’ and fell to the ground in a professional manner, and his disrespectful words and actions are documented on video”.
Mourinho was manager of Manchester United from 2016-2018, notably winning the Europa League in 2017.
After leaving the Red Devils, ‘the special one’ went on to manage Tottenham Hotspur and AS Roma, before joining Fenerbahce in 2024.
Never shy about speaking his mind, Mourinho famously told the media in 2018, “I won more Premierships alone than the other 19 managers together, three for me and two for them.
“Respect man, respect!”
After a poor start to the 2018/19 season, including just seven wins out of a possible 17, Mourinho was fired by United in December 2018.
After Fenerbahçe’s Turkish Cup loss to Galatasaray, José Mourinho appeared to pinch the nose of Galatasaray manager Okan Buruk pic.twitter.com/QmlUJeJMS1
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) April 2, 2025
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE CENTRE DEVILS WHATSAPP GROUP CHAT NOW!
Source: Centred Devils