Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international NGO that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking,…
Read more about this company
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it.
- Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through; daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team, including supervision national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Support the Deputy Director with coverage and the Director in development of context-specific analysis across the region
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Fluency in English, strong working knowledge of French.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Strong writing and proven analytical abilities (proven written/published sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
- Recent experience in Lake Chad Basin region – ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the security dynamics and context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A people manager.
Terms & Conditions and Benefits
- 12-month contract based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
- Salary: €4,550 per month salary,
- 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with an allowance of €1250 each R&R cycle, housing, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and USD $200,000 AD&D coverage.