SVN No. : SVN 2022 208
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Unit Coordinator, and in close co ordination with senior management, resources management and programme managers, the successful candidate will support the mission’s resource mobilisation and external liaison functions through grants management and project development, donor reporting and fundraising actions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the organization’s project development actions by drafting segments, reviewing and facilitating the submission of project proposals, concept notes, appeals, and donor contracts.
- Contribute to and coordinate timely and accurate preparation and dissemination of reports including monthly, interim, and final reports for donors based on program objectives, work plans, and timelines set by project agreements.
- Research, draft and submit other documents that may be necessary for project development, reporting, and donor liaison purposes.
- Support grant management by following up on the operational, administrative, and financial aspects of new and ongoing projects, including activation, processing, endorsement, records-keeping, and submissions in line with external/internal requirements.
- In coordination with the Programme Support Unit Coordinator (Maiduguri) and Public Information Officer (Abuja), produce visibility materials for publicity and/or resource mobilization efforts by compiling/drafting content and carrying out editing.
- Provide technical and administrative support to programme coordinators and project managers in the preparation of meetings and other consultations with donors, including assisting in the preparation of notes, briefs, and other materials.
- Support unit knowledge management and keep accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files, relevant databases and other Project
- Development and Reporting-related information.
- Provide technical guidance and support for the M&E aspects of other IOM programmes in Maiduguri.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Development, Management, Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience liaising with donors, governmental authorities, UN agencies, other
- national/international institutions, Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) and other stakeholders;
- Experience in report and proposal writing and project development activities.
- Working experience in an Emergency and/or Transition and Recovery context is a strong advantage;
- Experience in the logical framework approach, Result Based Management and other strategic planning approaches, including M&E methods and approaches; and,
- Experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Working knowledge of IOM processes and systems (PRIMA);
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
- Strong analytical skills and expert knowledge of MS Office applications;
- Knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
- Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how-to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage. Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically
Values – all IOM staff members must Abide by and demonstrate these Three Values:
Inclusion and Respect for Diversity:
- Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and Transparency:
- Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
Empowering others & Building Trust:
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision
- Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
- For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021