- Head of Accounts is a strategic partner in running the business and plays a crucial role in overseeing all activities of the accounting and tax accounting departments and is involved in the supervision and management of general accounting activities, analyses, business partnership, and the maintenance of effective internal controls while ensuring statutory compliance in all accounting initiatives.
- He/ She is responsible for the day–to–day aspects of the business’s accounting and reporting functions, and he reports directly to the Chief Finance Officer who takes responsibility over the entire financial department.
- He/ She is additionally expected to work with other finance departmental heads in deciding on complex modeling of the business’s financial approaches that cut across the entire business.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Supervise end-of-period processes and supports the analysis of the periodical business performance, budgets, and forecasts.
- Leads the accounting department in the establishment of risk management procedures as well as the update of those procedures.
- Motivates, develops, and creates a departmental culture and vision, taking full responsibility for the success or failure of the quarterly/annual audit process.
- Responsible for building talent across the accounting department and supports continuous improvement initiatives across the finance department.
Documentation & Reporting:
- Prepares reports in reflection of the revenue quarterly/annual processes.
- Develops reports on all accounting related matters inclusive of taxation matters.
- Pro-active advice and recommendations on the business’s financial approaches from an accounting and taxation perspective.
- Completeness and accuracy of bank/cash reconciliations.
- Review financial information and analysis from direct reports.
- Presenting reports to senior executives, stakeholders, and board members.
- Establish and implement financial reporting systems to comply with government regulations and legislation.
- Managing financial transactions.
- Create monthly and annual reports to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts.
- Ensures the accounting departments in the preparation of accounts and conducting quarterly/annual auditing and the final preparation of accounts
- Ensures the accounting department in the preparation and monitoring the business’s annual budgets and liaises with external auditors to drive ad hoc projects that will improve process efficiency.
- Ensures that there is a proactive engagement across the accounting department in implementing audit findings with a view of improving the business’s overall financial performance.
Statutory Compliance & Tax:
- Tax planning and ensuring statutory tax compliances on Coy Tax, VAT, WHT and other relevant taxes.
- Interface with the auditors, tax authorities, banks, and regulatory agencies
- Preparing company tax.
- Ensuring compliance with all other statutory and financial regulations e.g. IFRS
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
Accounting & Auditing:
- Ensuring proper accounting records are maintained aligned with Organizational Goals
- Maintains professional development, remains abreast of relevant accounting issues and financial policy and standards.
- Establishing a mechanism/checklist to ensure operations are under control and give requisite support to business heads.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Debt management and collection
- Collaborate with auditing services to ensure proper compliance with all regulations
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Coordinating audit processes.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
Cost Control, Cash Flow Management & Administration:
- Imports and logistics supervision
- Receivables, Payables and Stocks control
- Improving efficiencies and reducing costs across the business
- Monitor and facilitate administration activities for the company
- Ensure assessment and proper control on the admin expenditure for the company.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance, or relevant field (Minimum of Second class upper).
- Must be a Chartered Accountant (ACCA or ACA).
- An MBA or equivalent postgraduate management degree will be an advantage
- Applicant must have a Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in Financial Management and Controls.
- Age Requirement: 30 – 38 years old.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Advanced Accounting Skills
- Proficiency in accounting software.
- Analytical Skills
- Innovative Leadership
- Time Management
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Communication and Inter–Personal Skills
- Leadership; Coaching, Delegating and Developing People
- Change Management Skills
- Networks and Alliances
- Strategic thinking