Reference No: 2200037
Organisation: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Objectives of the Programme
- The objective of the programme is to strengthen the deconcentration of the WHO country office in Nigeria at the field level (States and Zones).
- This deconcentration allows WHO to strengthen its effectiveness through the coordination of partners, the capacity of provincial health systems to cope with preparedness, mitigation and response to public health emergencies.
- In addition, this deconcentration will enable the WHO country office to contribute to the strengthening of the health system at both the zonal and state level in general.
Description Of Duties
- Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, direct supervision of the Field and Zonal Coordinator-and working in close collaboration with the Regional Office team on health systems development and the health system team in the country office, the incumbent will be working with national authorities and other relevant stakeholders.
- The incumbent will have the following assigned responsibilities/duties: Provide strategic guidance, technical assistance, and programmatic direction to promote the implementation of the operational framework for Primary Health Care within the context of Universal Health Coverage and other health-related Sustainable Development Goals Provide technical, strategic advice and programmatic direction for the implementation of the program of work for designing and applying the approach of an integrated health services delivery system, within the context of Universal Health Coverage and other health-related Sustainable Development Goals Develop innovative technical cooperation activities to support the States in the re-orientation of health services with emphasis on the continuity of services across the life course extending from health promotion and prevention to rehabilitative and palliative care, with due attention to the differentiated and unmet needs of all people, the specific needs of populations in conditions of vulnerability, human rights, gender and cultural sensitivity approaches required to overcome health inequities.
- Provide technical advice to the States to strengthen the coordination/integration of priority health programs (i.e. HIV, TB, NCDs, Mental Health, etc.) and cross-cutting themes (Gender, Human Rights and Ethnicity) in service delivery, with emphasis on the first level of care develop inter-programmatic approach and mechanisms with priority programs for the provision of this technical support.
- Identify methods and mechanisms to strengthen the engagement and collaboration between users and providers, health services and communities, informal care networks and family care givers, promoting a cultural change in the provision of services based on the principles of primary health care and people centered service delivery. Provide technical assistance to the States to develop, implement and monitor National Quality Policy and Strategy (NQPS) including Patient safety interventions and Infections, Prevention and Control (IPC).
- Provide technical assistance to the States to strengthening resilience of health systems to maintain the provision and utilisation of essential health services in the context of emergencies (fragile, conflicts and vulnerable settings).
- Provide technical advice and collaborate with States to increase the response capacity of the healthcare system, with emphasis on the first level of care, through the development of programs that support the empowerment of people and communities, the strengthening of formal participation mechanisms and the development of health-related promotion, prevention and education programs.
- Develop knowledge management and operations research initiatives related to health systems and services with an emphasis on models of care that focus on people and communities, with due focus on the differentiated needs of people (gender, ethnic, age, etc.).
- Collaborate in global, regional and national alliances and networks in support of the strengthening of the first level of care, including the exchange of best practices and experiences among countries.
- Support the States in building partnerships for strengthening health care services, engaging policymakers from other sectors, NGOs, community-based and other civil society organisations, and other relevant regional stakeholders.
- University Degree in one of the Health Sciences and a Master’s Degree in Medical Anthropology, Public Health, Health Systems/Services Administration or other field related to Public Health from an accredited institution.
- Post Graduate training in public health or epidemiology from a recognized academic institution.
- At least five (5) years year’s combined national and field experience in areas related to health services organization management, and delivery of integrated health care services.
- Experience should include work at the primary care level (first level of care), integration of priority programs in primary care settings, community participation and health-related promotion, prevention and education programs at the local level.
- Relevant work experience with WHO and/or UN agencies, health cluster partners; experience working in relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
- Additional training in health service management; licensing and accreditation of health services/facilities; quality improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated expertise in the organization, management and delivery of health services, including integrated models of health care, people-centred and equitable health services, and the development of services to facilitate the empowerment of people and the community- Demonstrated expertise in strategic thinking, political and stakeholder analysis, community participation, negotiation methods, leadership and Development-Demonstrated experience in inter-sectoral collaboration and ability to work with other agencies and development partners in middle and or low-income country settings-Demonstrated professional writing and oral skills including the development of high-quality reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest level of the organization.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Nil.
- Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 22,134,904 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.