Job Identification: 3027
Duty Station: This is a remote consultancy; home based and does not require the consultant to travel to Nigeria.
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jun-2022
Duration of Initial Contract: One Year Retainer
Expected Duration of Assignment: One Year Retainer
- The Government of Nigeria has committed to the implementation and attainment of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The Addis Ababa Action Agenda provides a global framework for financing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), by aligning all financing flows and policies with economic, social and environmental priorities.
- Integrated national financing frameworks (INFFs) are used as a planning and delivery tool to finance sustainable development at the national level.
- They help policymakers lay out a strategy to increase investment for sustainable development, manage financial and non-financial risks, and ultimately achieve sustainable development priorities. In short, integrated national financing frameworks are a tool to operationalize the Addis Ababa Action Agenda at the national level, in conjunction with international cooperation on the global level.
- This integrated national financing framework or strategy will be produced as report that will be published at national level as a policy making tool.
- SDG financing on the other hand will help accelerate poverty reduction that can be measured using Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
- The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) is an international measure of acute poverty covering over 100 developing countries and 5.7 billion people.
- The MPI complements income-based poverty measures by reflecting the multiple deprivations that people face at the same time.
- The MPI identifies deprivations across health, education, living standards and unemployment, and it shows the number of people who are multi-dimensionally poor and the deprivations they face at the household level.
- It tracks deprivation across three dimensions and 10 indicators: health (child mortality, nutrition), education (years of schooling, enrolment), and living standards (water, sanitation, electricity, cooking fuel, floor and assets). It first identifies which of these 10 deprivations each household experiences, and then identifies households as poor if they suffer deprivations across one -third or more of the weighted indicators.
- The MPI analysis will be produced as a report that will be published at national level to help policy makers in poverty reduction strategy.
- It is in this context that the UNDP Nigeria is looking to procure a professional graphic designer who will provide design support on an as needed basis and assist in the development of the overall design, layout and finalization of both the INFF, MPI reports, strategic UNDP reports, briefing package, fact sheets and social media cards in print and digital formats.
- Each product will be expected to have their own unique branding and design as well as should reflect the themes of the content communicated throughout each of the publications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work:
Working closely with the UNDP Nigeria Inclusive Economic Growth Unit, under the general guidance and supervision of the UNDP Nigeria Communications Specialist, the contractor will be responsible for providing the following services:
- Graphic design for research reports: Produce high-quality graphic design and layout of various UNDP reports, including the development of infographics, illustrations and tables to ensure easy readability and strong aesthetic appeal
- Designed social media cards: Produce high-quality graphic designed social media cards to highlight key UNDP data and information
- Graphic designed fact sheets: Produce high-quality graphic designed fact sheets to highlight key UNDP data and information
- Graphic designed briefing package: Produce high-quality graphic designed briefing package to highlight key UNDP data and information including the development of infographics, illustrations and tables to ensure easy readability and strong aesthetic appeal
For the above services, the scope of work include:
- Create designs with clear and easy to understand layout, aesthetics, color, graphics and compelling visuals delivered within agreed timelines.
- Implement UNDP’s publication and branding policy related to print and online publications as well as UNDP graphics guidelines.
- Improve and edit artwork, photos, charts and other graphic elements in all the documents.
- Custom photo editing (restoration, noise reduction, tonal adjustment)
- Provide data visualization, maps and infographics using professional design software (e.g. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop etc.).
- Submit three design options and preliminary layouts for discussion with UNDP for each report;
- Revise the selected layout as discussed with UNDP;
- Submit the publication to UNDP for proofreading (two rounds of corrections per document to be covered under the agreement)
- Ensure all corrections have been inserted.
- Obtain a final sign off from UNDP before submitting electronic files to the printer and prepare the electronic files for the printer
- Send electronic files to printer (via FTP) and liaise with printer during printing process, receive and mark up final blueprint with final corrections from UNDP
- Make final corrections to electronic file
- Create PDF from final electronic file for UNDP web posting
Expected Outputs for the Initial Engagement:
- Completion of graphic design and finalize layout work for the print and digital version of the MPI report. Also produce and design of 10 social media cards highlighting key data from the MPI report
Level of completion(Percentate):
- Completion of graphic design and finalize layout work for the print and digital version of the INFF report. Also produce and design of 5 social media cards highlighting key data from the INFF report
Level of completion(Percentate):
- The consultant will work in close consultations with UNDP Nigeria Stabilization Facility project team and will report to UNDP Nigeria Communications Specialist
- The deliverables submitted are subject to review by UNDP and will be accepted upon necessary amendments made by the consultant, for final approval.
- Payments will be on a per-assignment basis and will be issued upon successful completion of service.
- Upon successful completion of the assignment, contractors are required to submit all requested output files, as well as all source files (e.g. packaged InDesign files) to UNDP for archival purposes.
Duration of Work
One year retainer with initial Engagement of 30-day period as below:
- Item: Professional (Home-based)
- Duration: One Year Retainer
- No of Days: 30 days
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Quickly understands the responds to the evolving need of the client.
Qualifications and Experience
Professional expert individuals for consideration shall have the following qualifications:
Functional competencies and evaluation criteria:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Multimedia, Communications, Visual Arts or another related field;
- Minimum of 7 years graphic design experience on corporate and long report (minimum 30 pages) designs;
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design, including the use of design software such as Adobe Creative Suite – Adobe InDesign, or any other industry standard graphic design program
- Show a clear and mature style of design, compelling visualization, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of a UN agency.
- A track record and portfolio that demonstrates strong graphic design skills of a wide range of publication formats, including print, digital/online materials and color management;
- Design professionals who are active, understanding and willing to work under pressure and high demand;
- Contractor must have experience in designing multiple language versions mainly in English and Arabic;
- Contractor must be experienced in print management and publishing systems
- Fluency in English (spoken & written)
- Educational Qualifications (20 Marks)
- Professional Qualifications and Certifications (30 Marks)
- Experience implementing similar assignment in the past (50 Marks)
Criteria For Selection of the Consultant
- The offer will be evaluated by using the best value for money approach (combined scoring method).
- Technical proposal will be evaluated on 70%. Whereas budget proposed will be evaluated on 30% based on sufficiency for applying the data gathering techniques and for obtaining reliable data for the evaluation in the timeframe indicated. Below is the breakdown of technical proposal on 100% which will be brought to 70%:
- National Consultant (Associate) technical evaluation criteria:(Weight; 100% and Max Point; 100)
Schedule of Payments
The consultant will be remunerated based on the prescribed rates, upon delivery and clearance of Expected Outputs for the Initial Engagement. The clearance of final services must be processed as per the institutional arrangement as outlined in and obtained by the persons identified in Institutional Arrangements.