Job: Accountant at Jami Al Hakeem Foundation
Job Category/Sector: Accounting / Finance Employment Category: Regular Employment Type: Full-Time
Duration of Contract: 2 years Open to Expatriates: No
Position Reports to: Chairperson.
- The accountant will assist in developing and managing the project’s financial systems.
- S/he will work under the supervision of the Chairperson and will support him in all matters related to financial management, financial reporting, subcontracting.
- S/he will also assist the Chairperson in ensuring sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation of project activities and support programs.
- Specific areas of responsibility include financial report preparation, review and submission to headquarters and cash flow management.
- This position will be based in Adamawa State, limited travel may be required to programming locations in Yobe, Gombe and Borno State.
- Preparing accurate and timely financial reports in line with J-HF financial regulations
- Providing and interpreting financial information from Microsoft Dynamics SL and other project source documents
- Ensuring that monthly projections are collated from various components for cash requests and burn rate
- Developing external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. bankers and statutory organizations such as the Inland Revenue, NSITF and pension officials.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to colleagues on policies, procedures, financial regulations etc.
- Keeping abreast of changes in financial regulations and legislations and communicating implications to management as needed
- Maintaining collaborative professional relationships with managerial staff and colleagues in other departments (particularly Grants and Procurement) to support activity clearance, implementation and overall program delivery
- Applying internationally accepted principles and procedures to analyze financial information
- Ensuring appropriate accounting control and procedures in all financial operations
- Monitoring of cash balances, prepare advance account reconciliations and bank reconciliations and respond to inquiries from HQ.
- Monitoring cash balances on dynamics and bank, ensuring that drawdowns from USD to Naira account are done timely as soon as a confirmed exchange rate is received from the bank
- Reviewing local expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with donor and J- HF’s financial practice before reimbursement
- Coordinating with program and administrative staff to ensure that transactions are properly planned, recorded and coded
- Prepare payroll, send pay slips and make all statutory deductions to the relevant authorities
- Coordinate with the bank for information regarding exchange rate, bank balances, wire transfer etc.
- Ensure staff have good understanding of policies and procedures and that knowledge is reflected in the day to day financial transactions – avail staff with all relevant policies and procedures, provide on job trainings, as necessary provide feedbacks on irregularities, etc.
- Initiate and implement a planning and reporting practices for staffs under Chairperson supervision.
- Support, as needed, in capacity building work of grantees.
Technical expertise, Skills, Knowledge, and competencies:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent in Accounting or Finance
- 5 years of general experience with at least 3 years of experience in accounting and finance work is required.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Experience with computerized accounting systems is required.
- Strong analytical skills are required.
- Multi-tasking with positive attitude is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, sustainable relationships with project staff and bank officials, as well as the development community is required.
- Prior experience with international organizations or international-funded projects is highly desirable.
- Experience working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Fluency in one or more of the local state languages in the Northeastern part of Nigeria is required.