By Lee Hurley
Arsenal fans are no stranger to the Australian, Jarred Gillett, but they are far more used to him as the faceless name in a booth making ridiculous calls as the VAR official.
This is Gillett’s first involvement of any kind with Arsenal this season.
Gillett was referee for two Arsenal games last season – Our 3-0 home win over AFC Wimbledon in the EFL Cup and our 3-0 home win over Southampton in the league.
In those games he booked a total of four players (two AFC Wimbledon players v Arsenal and two Arsenal players (Gabriel and Saka) v Southampton.
Gillett was also the ref who initially sent Kieran Trippier off against Manchester City last weekend, in my view, correctly. He then changed his mind when prompted by VAR.
Michael Oliver, who will be on VAR is certainly no stranger to Arsenal, either.
By February last season he had been in charge of Arsenal as a ref or VAR official in nearly 40% of their games, a ridiculous statistic.
It is also his first involvement with Arsenal this season.
- Referee: Jarred Gillett.
- Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West.
- Fourth official: Thomas Bramall.
- VAR: Michael Oliver.
- Assistant VAR: Lee Betts.
Previous officials for Arsenal matches this season
AFC Bournemouth vs Arsenal
- Referee: Craig Pawson.
- Assistants: Marc Perry, Scott Ledger.
- Fourth official: Graham Scott.
- VAR: Paul Tierney.
- Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.
Arsenal vs Leicester
- Referee: Darren England.
- Assistants: James Mainwaring, Wade Smith.
- Fourth official: Robert Jones.
- VAR: Mike Dean.
- Assistant VAR: Derek Eaton.
Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
- Referee: Anthony Taylor.
- Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn.
- Fourth official: Peter Bankes.
- VAR: Darren England.
- Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring.
Source: Daily Cannon.