The Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has dismissed social media reports that he collapsed last week, describing the claims as baseless rumours orchestrated by individuals seeking political relevance.
Wike, who spoke on Thursday after inspecting ongoing projects in Abuja, reassured Nigerians of his good health and vowed to remain focused on his duties.
The minister expressed his disappointment on the speculation, and attributed it to people attempting to divert public attention from more pressing national issues.
He maintained that he had never suffered a health crisis or been flown abroad for medical treatment, as some reports suggested.
He linked the false reports to efforts by certain individuals to shift focus away from alleged plots to destroy national assets, particularly in Rivers State.
Wike said, “I don’t want to give credence to people who are only interested in carrying rumours.
“First of all, I am a human being, it is not a ghost that will collapse. It is human beings that will collapse if there is any problem with their health. Unfortunately, I did not collapse and I did not show any sign that I have any health problem. Let me tell you what happened, the former Head of Service (in Rivers state) came out to let the public know what was going on, how they planned to bomb the House of Assembly complex and how they planned to attack national assets.
“In order to divert attention from these serious matters, they decided to spread rumours that I collapsed and was flown overseas. But every day, I have been active. I attended the iftar dinner with the President on his birthday and led Abuja residents for Sallah homage the next day. These rumors do not bother us; we have thick skin,” he added.
Wike also took a swipe at those who spread the false reports, joking that he would be the one to sign condolence register of those who wished him dead.
“We all know that death is inevitable, but only God determines when a person dies. I can assure you that I am even healthier than most of those spreading these rumours, and I will sign their condolence letters,” he said.
Speaking on the progress of various projects within the FCT, Wike expressed satisfaction with the quality of work being executed.
During his inspection tour, he visited the International Conference Centre (ICC), road projects in Gishiri, and the roads leading to the Justices’ Quarters.
“You can see the work at the ICC; it is progressing well and keeping to schedule. The quality is commendable, and by God’s grace, we will inaugurate it soon,” he stated.
He also highlighted other ongoing infrastructural developments, including roads leading to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) headquarters and OSEX.
He reaffirmed that multiple projects would be completed and commissioned as part of President Bola Tinubu’s second anniversary celebrations.
“I am very impressed with what I have seen. The work is going well, and we are committed to ensuring Abuja gets the best,” Wike assured.
I Will Sign The Condolence Register Of Critics Wishing Me Dead—Wike is first published on The Whistler Newspaper
Source: The Whistler