Skip to content

Giants stunner: Carlos Correa agrees to free-agent deal with Mets, says report

In a shocking, late-night development, Carlos Correa has shunned the Giants and quickly agreed to a 10-year, $315 million deal with the New York Mets, the New York Post reported Tuesday night.

The stunning news came just hours after the Giants abruptly called off a scheduled press conference to introduce the superstar shortstop as the new face of their franchise once the team reportedly noticed an issue with Correa’s physical.

Jon Heyman of the Post reported Correa’s deal with the Mets on Twitter, saying the Giants and Correa’s representatives had a disagreement on the medical report. The difference of opinions ultimately paved the way for Correa’s agent, Scott Boras, to quickly make a deal with deep-pocketed Mets owner Steve Cohen.

“We needed one more thing, and this was it,” Cohen told Heyman about his ultra-talented and expensive club whose payroll for next season was just over $282 million even before Correa’s reported deal. The Mets have such a loaded roster that Correa will move to shortstop in New York because the Mets already have four-time All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor.

Last week the Giants agreed to a 13-year, $350 million deal with Correa that would have made the 28-year-old the second highest-paid free agent in MLB history and given San Francisco their biggest star since Barry Bonds.

Losing Correa is a crushing blow for the Giants, who two weeks ago appeared to have a real shot of signing Yankees slugger Aaron Judge to a massive deal until he decided to stay in New York.

Last week the Giants agreed to a 13-year, $350 million deal with Correa that would have made the 28-year-old the second highest-paid free agent in MLB history and given San Francisco their biggest star since Barry Bonds.



Source