Elon Musk, the name is constantly stealing the headlines. The bright mind behind Tesla and SpaceX has been trending recently due to the many technological advancements his companies have been making in the world. They are even setting new trends for the industry. Elon Musk is certainly one of the most influential people in the current era and now sits as the world’s richest man, according to Forbes.
Elon Musk leaves Jeff Bezos behind
According to the annual list, Elon Musk has just surpassed Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos to take the crown of the world. Interestingly, this is the first time in four years that Jeff Bezos is taken from the first spot. As per Forbes, Musk was worth an estimated $219 billion on March 11 – when the Forbes’ list of world billionaires locked in net worths. Over the past year, Elon Musk has added around $68 billion to his fortune.
This is the result of a whopping 33 percent jump in the Tesla shares values. Meanwhile, Bezos lost out due to a 3 percent drop in Amazon stock and also increased charitable giving. This move has wiped around $6 billion from his net worth according to Forbes.
Interestingly, Forbes has accounted for 2,668 billion on the list. This is a smaller number when we take in mind last year’s record of 2,755. Furthermore, this year’s billionaires are worth $12.7 trillion, down from last year’s $13.1 trillion. Worth noting that around 236 people became billionaires for the first time. This includes pop star Rihanna and the film director behind The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Alien – Peter Jackson. Barbados, Bulgaria, Estonia, and Uruguay have also gained their very first billionaires.
Some voices are saying that Elon Musk may become the world’s first trillionaire in the future. However, taking things in a skeptical form seems to be almost impossible. Of course, his fortune is way above the average on the Forbes list. But there is still a long path to reach the Trillions. In a recent development, Elon Musk has acquired a 9 percent share of Twitter. In a good show of his “money powers”, Musk is now Twitter’s biggest stockholder, surpassing the company’s co-founder. He is even suggesting some changes to the platform.
Below you can check a quick summary of the Forbes list with some familiar names
- 1 – Elon Musk, who resides in the US state of Texas, with a net worth of $219 billion from Tesla and Space X
- 2 – Jeff Bezos, who resides in the US state of Washington, with a net worth of $171 billion from Amazon
- 4 – Bill Gates, who lives in the US state of Washington, with a net worth of $129 billion from Microsoft
- 6 – Larry Page, who lives in the US state of California, with a net worth of $111 billion from Google
- 10 – Mukesh Ambani, who lives in India, with a net worth of $90.7 billion from Reliance Industries, which has interests in petrochemicals, oil and gas, telecom, and retail