Never pay money for any certification or fee to an employer. Not sure, contact us
GIZ. Solutions that work.
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project (RPPP):
- The second phase of the Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project
- (RPPP) advising ECOWAS and Member States Institutions on the implementation of core capacities of the International Health Regulations has begun.
- In the new project there will be an increased focus on support to One Health actors at all levels of the system, on building exchange formats, communications and coordination between them and on building human and technical capacity in this sector. Cooperation will be based on enhancement and further development of key products and deliverables of RPPP1, such as the regional risk communications strategy, the Regional Rapid Response Team (RRRT) digital communications platforms
- The project will also support the development of the Regional One Health platform of ECOWAS and of selected Member States. It will also support SORMAS implementation at Member State and Regional level.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The Embedded Technical Adviser – Epidemiology and Digital Surveillance will be located within the Regional Centre for Surveillance and Disease Control (RCSDC), a Directorate of the West Africa Health Organization (WAHO).
- The Embedded Adviser will support the overall conceptualization, planning and implementation of activities designed to in building the internal and external capacity of the RCSDC to deliver its mandate to support ECOWAS Member States in disease control and prevention in the area of pandemic prone diseases.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of RCSDC, the Advisor will undertake the following roles and functions:
- Provide strategic and technical guidance and policy advice to RSCDC to support the development of the networked approach to pandemic preparedness in the ECOWAS region based on the implementation of selected activities of:
- the Risk Communications strategy and IICC strategy
- Organisational Development Plan of the RCSDC
- These activities will support the promotion of the One Health concept and the creation of the ECOWAS One Health Platform
- Support the fostering of dynamic partnerships with key stakeholders at the regional and national levels, including other WAHO Directorates, other parts of the ECOWAS
- Commission, Member States’ National Coordinating Institutions civil society, media, and other development partners.
- Provide context analysis and technical briefs and research, develop and deliver presentations, prepare various forms of documentation (e.g., background papers, knowledge products and others) as may be required.
- Ensure visibility of GIZ’s support for the development of RSCDC and the network of NCIs and contribute to GIZ knowledge management processes.
- Support operational planning and provide administrative and logistical support for the delivery of GIZ RPP support to RCSDC. In line with GIZ guidelines.
- Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Medical Sciences and Master’s degree in Public Health
- At least 10 years of effective professional experience in management and implementation of complex public health programs involving management of epidemics and health emergencies in West Africa.
- Proven experience in implementation of pandemic preparedness and response strategies in the One Health context at regional and national level.
- Proven experience of collaboration with partners, interpersonal relations and advocacy with an established network of officials at national, regional
- and international level.
- Strong ability for strategic analysis, summary and report writing, and good presentation skills.
- Communication and negotiation coupled with excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills and an ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and highly political context.
- Strong organisational and project management skills and a good knowledge and understanding of results based planning, monitoring, and reporting.
- Excellent spoken and written English and French
Contract duration and duty station:
- Contract duration: The Embedded Adviser will be employed for a period not exceeding the duration of the programme: the maximal duration of the contract will be until June 2024.
- Duty station: Abuja, based in the Regional Centre for Surveillance and Disease Control, with duty travels throughout the region.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4.