Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
The University of Pretoria is a multi-faculty research-intensive university that has remained among the top South African universities in research output and impact. UP is also the top producer of graduates in the country. With campuses in Pretoria and its surrounds, as well as in the country’s economic hub, Johannesburg, UP is conveniently situated…
Read more about this company
The University of Pretoria is seeking a dynamic expert in agricultural extension to join our team. He/she will actively support and contribute to the commitment of the University of Pretoria’s vision to become a leading research university in Africa and across the globe. The candidate will be responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in agricultural extension, supervising postgraduate students, community engagement activities and establishing a substantial research programme on an area related to agricultural extension in line with the Department’s and Faculty’s strategic direction.
The Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development (DAEERD) offers top-quality undergraduate and post-graduate training in various fields such as agricultural economics, agribusiness management, agricultural extension, rural development, and environmental economics, Our sought-after postgraduate programme in Agricultural Economics has been host to the Collaborative Masters in Agriculture and Applied Economics for 15 years, training over 1500 students from across Africa. Our research programmes address practical, relevant and multi-disciplinary/sectoral problems and provide scientific, evidence-based research for policy/strategy aimed at improving incomes, food security natural resources management, livelihoods for households, and furthering the development of the African continent.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate modules;
- Supervising honours, master’s and PhD students;
- Conducting research and publishing articles in leading accredited journals;
- Raising funds to support existing research programmes and/or initiating new ones;
- Community engagement;
- Academic administration; and
- Other duties assigned by the Head of Department.
- A PhD degree in Agricultural Extension;
- Two publications in accredited journal(s); and
- Two years’ teaching and research experience in a tertiary/research institution.
Senior Lecturer (same as for Lecturer, PLUS):
- Three years’ teaching and research experience in Agricultural Extension;
- At least five publications in accredited journal(s);
- Evidence of successful supervision/co-supervision of master’s students; and
- Evidence of community engagement and project leadership.
Associate Professor (same as for Senior Lecturer and Lecturer, PLUS):
- A proven record of successful supervision/co-supervision of PhD students;
- Five years’ teaching and research experience in a tertiary/research institution;
- Recognition by peers as a researcher with high academic standing;
- A comprehensive publication record and experience leading joint research projects;
- A record of collaboration with local and international scientists; and
- Proven experience in fundraising for research.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Ability to develop a world-class research programme.
Ability to teach and conduct research in the following areas:
- Principles and approaches of rural development and extension;
- Leadership and group dynamics; and
- Communication for sustainable rural development.