Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
- Transporting MSF staff, patients, and materials under good safety conditions and responsible for the fleet maintenance and the appropriate use and maintenance of MSF vehicles, in accordance with MSF rules, standards and protocols to have the vehicles in optimal running conditions.
- As driver, performing the tasks of transporting authorized goods and passengers in an MSF vehicle, ensuring its technical and safety conditions, and respecting the country’s traffic rules and MSF security rules to provide a safe, smooth, and efficient service. Responsibilities are same as stated in the Driver JP (as per attached).
- As mechanic, in charge of maintaining all MSF vehicles and generators, ensuring that they are in good working condition and that they have the necessary materials and equipment, such as tools, emergency box, radio, spare parts, etc. Tasks includes fixing minor mechanical problems and liaising with the Fleet Supervisor / Logistics Supervisor for major mechanical problems. Ensuring that staff have and uses the appropriate protective materials.
- Maintaining up to date and accurate department stock cards and tracking the consumption and condition of products dedicated to MSF vehicles. Using materials according to MSF policies and procedures and in collaboration with the Supply Chain Supervisor, preparing the monthly local purchase order.
- Ensuring that all cars have the required papers and equipment (roadbooks, triangle, fire extinguisher, road triangle, spare oil, coolant, map, insurance driver licenses, matriculation, etc.)
- Providing the logistics manager with a monthly report addressing at a minimum, the progression of activities, the difficulties encountered and the plan of action for the following months.
- Performing, under the support of Logistics Manager the following:
- Monthly maintenance checks for all of MSF vehicles and generators to ensure they are in perfect condition for their use.
- Conduct autonomously all the Service A for MSF vehicles.
- Conduct, under the supervision of the Logistics Manager any service C for MSF vehicles.
- This includes the following tasks.
- Performing maintenance according to the instructions in the logbook, ensuring all type of services to all vehicles are done on time (i.e., mini-A, medium B and full C, and special services referred in logbook when possible).
- Keeping record of vehicle’s driver remarks and carrying out repairs if needed (vehicles and other mechanical equipment) and filling in service, repair, or vehicle logbook. Reporting to the line manager any problem related to MSF vehicles.
- In the case of a breakdown, making a diagnosis, informing the line manager and after approval carrying out any complex / advanced repairs needed.
- Following up the validity of all documents (annual inspections, insurance, or any other required documents).
- Managing the stock of consumable items, filling in the stock cards, carrying out physical stock inventories, executing orders necessary for renewing stock, avoiding any shortage.
- Responsible for the equipment and Tools, including Radio Equipment extinguishers, checking they are correctly and safely used, maintaining, and renewing them when necessary and keeping the inventory updated.
- Keeping workshop and its surrounding clean and tidy.
- Ensuring that all record sheets and books related to maintenance are always completed and preparing needed reports before and after any repair or required maintenance.
- Carry out quarterly evaluation of external workshop in case of sub-contracting as well as heavy and light Vehicle renting.
- Reporting: Comply monthly Mechanic report for generator and vehicle clearly stating maintenance carried out within the month and action plan for coming months.
- Knowing how to use all types of radios, codes, call numbers and radio alphabets by heart and communicating with base according to MSF communications policy to inform the driver’s position and any potential implications.
- Carrying out or supervising all maintenance and logistics activities in the base (vehicles, fuel consumption, and local infrastructure) according to MSF standards and protocols to have the material, infrastructure, and vehicles in optimal running conditions.
- Checking the maintenance of the various open spaces (gardens, courtyards…) and ensuring that domestic waste is correctly discarded.
- Checking and ensuring the maintenance of MSF premises and facilities, as well as the general water supply, electrical, walls, ceilings etc. and security conditions. In this sense, making inspection visits to assess the rehabilitation needs of facilities.
- Checking the quality of work carried out on generators and selected installations.
- Education: Technical certification or proven experience in automotive and generator mechanics plus a valid driving license is required.
- Experience: 2 years minimum Previous experience in technical work as a mechanic assistant is required. Experience with MSF or other NGO is desirable.
- Computer Literacy: Computer proficiency (word and excel) is required.
- Languages: English Required plus knowledge of local language is desired.
- Competencies and Qualities: Result, Organizational ability and quality orientation, teamwork and cooperation, behavioural flexibility, stress management and commitment to humanitarian objectives and to MSF Principles.
According to the MSF salary scale (Level4) plus 13th month allowance equivalent to 1 month of gross salary.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, valid Driver’s licence, Motivation letter, diplomas, work certificates and any other important documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Driver / Mechanic – Abuja” as the subject of the mail.
In an A4 Sized envelope with subject Driver / Mechanic – Abuja at MSF box located at:
Plot 772 C1,
K-close Off 1st Avenue Gwarinpa,
Interested and qualified? Go to Medecins Sans Frontieres on forms.office.com to apply