Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the ‘Cloud Ambassador’ across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
If you fit the description, you might be the person we are looking for! We are a group of smart people, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
- Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
- Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers’ individual needs.
- Interact with leading engineers around the world.
- Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
- Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
- Drive customer communication during critical events.
- Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers’ technical support experience.
- Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
- Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
First and foremost this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
- On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
- Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
- Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
- Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
- We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
- Support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
- ** As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Support sites located globally, there is no after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
- Good in-depth troubleshooting to resolve straightforward Linux and network related technical problems.
- Strong troubleshoot connectivity problems across the different layers of the OSI model from the Linux stand point of view using tools like ping, traceroute, ifconfig, tcpdump, etc.
- Good understanding of Networking fundamentals like CIDR notations, OSI model, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, SSH, TCP, routing, switching, subnets, ACLs, NAT
- Perform networking administration tasks like being able to connect an individual PC to the network/internet and set FW rules.
- 4 to 7 years of relevant experience
- Perform basic administration tasks and initial troubleshooting of different Linux distributions.
- Knowledge of the most common OS logs used for troubleshooting problems.
- Troubleshooting of disk space issues and knowledge of the administrative tasks required to address these problems.
- High level understanding of security in Linux (filesystem permissions, etc), may have experience managing users and groups.
- Troubleshooting of booting issues and how to manage services in Linux (SystemV and or SystemD)
- Basic backup and restore concepts (desktops/laptops).
- Have experience installing software using the different package managers
- Basic understanding of applications such as Apache, NginX, MySQL, etc.
- Troubleshoot performance issues in a single domain using common OS tools such as top, sar and free.
- Basic understanding of process lifecycle and signals
- Basic understanding of 3-tier web application and a general idea of which components are stateful and which ones are stateless.
- Basic understanding of shell concepts such as variables, aliases, redirection and shell expansion.