Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
The Law Clinic Instructor will provide hands-on legal education, mentorship, and supervision to students as they engage with real-world legal cases and clients. The incumbent will have a strong background in legal practice, a commitment to ethical standards, and a passion for educating and guiding the legal professionals of the future in accordance with the policies and procedures of the American University of Nigeria.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage client record data base (Law Clinic Software)
- Work with the Director of the Law Clinic to train students on basic law office procedures, etiquette, and client centered law practice.
- Assist the Director of the Law Clinic in organizing simulation exercises, moot and mock trial sessions of the School of Law Clinic.
- Assist the Director of the Law Clinic in the execution/implementation of access to justice programs/projects as they arise.
- Coordinate Street Law events/activities as they are scheduled.
- In conjunction with the Director of the Law Clinic organize and coordinate Law Clinicians visits to justice administration agencies such as Ministry of Justice, Attorney General’s office, Legal Aid Council, Comptroller of Correctional Services office, Courts of Justice, the EFCC, the ICPC.
- Assist the Director of the Law Clinic in the execution of activities related to the delivery of Law Clinic modules: CDV 211-Law and Justice in Development Course.
- Assist the Director of the Law Clinic in supervising law students in the clinical setting, ensuring that they gain practical experience and exposure to a wide range of legal matters.
- In conjunction with the Director of the Law Clinic oversee and manage caseload of real legal cases, ensuring that students receive appropriate guidance and support while working on these cases.
- Assist students in conducting legal research, drafting legal documents, and providing comprehensive analysis of case law, statutes, and regulations.
- Ensure students practice effective client communication and professionalism while interacting with real clients, emphasizing ethical conduct and client-centered practice.
- Facilitate and support students’ professional growth, helping them develop critical skills in legal practice, client advocacy and problem-solving skills.
- Educate students about legal ethics, professional responsibility, and adherence to legal and ethical standards in their work.
- Implement a structured evaluation process to monitor students’ performance and provide feedback for continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with the School’s Director of Law Clinic to contribute to the development and enhancement of the law clinic curriculum.
- Foster relationships with local legal practitioners, organizations, and community partners to identify opportunities for clinical student involvement and community service.
Requirements for the position:
- A good first degree, LL. B from a reputable university.
- A minimum of five years’ post-call experience, preferably with experience in the areas of law relevant to the law clinic.
- Strong knowledge of legal ethics, professional responsibility, and legal standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Dedication to the development and success of law students.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in legal education.
- Experience in clinical legal education is a plus.
- Teaching experience in a law school or clinical setting is a strong advantage.
- Should be proficient in use of ICT tools and e-resources for teaching and research.
- Evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals will be an added advantage.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Membership of Nigerian Bar Association.
- Applicants are expected to have the appropriate academic credentials, as well as successful post-secondary teaching experience.
- Experience in Africa or other parts of the developing world is a plus.
- A strong commitment to development.
- An understanding of the essential values of academic integrity, civility, collegiality and diversity in a community of learners.
- A demonstrated commitment to academic excellence, cultural diversity, and equal opportunity.