2 men indicted in 'brutal' slaying of 74-year-old found bound, assaulted, and dead in her apartment

2 men indicted in 'brutal' slaying of 74-year-old found bound, assaulted, and dead in her apartment

NEW YORK (TCD) — Two men, including the former building superintendent, were indicted last week in connection with the death of a 74-year-old woman who was found bound and sexually assaulted in her Upper West Side apartment in January.

On Feb. 21, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced a slew of charges against 47-year-old Lashawn Mackey and 53-year-old Terrence Moore for allegedly assaulting, robbing, and killing Maria Hernandez. Both men are charged with two counts of first-degree murder, one count of first-degree aggravated sexual abuse, first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery, and second-degree robbery.

According to the statement, on Jan. 18, NYPD officers discovered Maria Hernandez face-down on the floor “covered in strewn clothing, with bruises and lacerations across her body.”

Her hands and feet were reportedly tied together with rope.

Mackey and Moore allegedly entered Hernandez’s apartment building together, then broke into the superintendent’s office by breaking a bolt lock. Bragg said the two men allegedly cut wires to the surveillance mechanism and stole the entire video system. Mackey reportedly served as a temporary superintendent between May and August 2022.

After allegedly killing Hernandez, Moore and Mackey allegedly left the building with two of Hernandez’s rolling bags.

According to WPIX-TV, Hernandez died from asphyxia with compression of the neck, and the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide.

Hernandez was reportedly last seen alive Jan. 18 at approximately 6:30 p.m. when a neighbor brought her a piece of birthday cake from another tenant’s celebration. Hernandez’s daughter could not get in touch with her later that evening, so she called Hernandez’s sister, who lives in the same building, to check on her. Her sister found her dead just before 10 p.m.

Bragg said in the statement, “This was a brutal and callous murder that no family should ever have to experience. My thoughts are with Ms. Hernandez’s loved ones as they continue to grieve and recover from their loss. I thank the prosecutors in my office for quickly building this case and continuing to steadfastly uncover every piece of evidence.”


Spread the love