1,238 Nigerian nurses in UK face sanctions over exam fraud linked to Oyo center

1,238 Nigerian nurses in UK face sanctions over exam fraud linked to Oyo center

The UK Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) has placed 1,238 Nigerian nurses under investigation with another 717 facing disciplinary actions over allegations of exam fraud linked to an examination centre based in Ibadan, Oyo State.

According to a statement on Wednesday by the NMC, the total number of Nigerian nurses who are being investigated and have been linked to the centre known as Yunik Test Centre, are now 1955.

According to reports, the scandal emerged after the NMC identified irregularities in the Computer-Based Test (CBT), which is a basic requirement for foreign-trained nurses seeking UK registration.

It stated that investigators had consistently flagged concerns about the speed at which some candidates completed the exam, leading to suspicions of fraudulent activity and as a result, some of the affected nurses have had their visas revoked by the UK Home Office and are facing deportation.

Another report in the UK Nursing Times stated that several of the affected nurses have already been removed from the professional register, while others are appealing their cases.

While breaking down the figures, the NMC said:

“48 professionals on the register achieved their CBT in a time we believe is more likely than not to indicate that they obtained their result fraudulently. 669 applicants wishing to join the register also fall into this category.

“467 professionals on the register had their CBT invalidated without fraud allegations, while 771 applicants in a similar situation had their tests invalidated.”

The NMC to resolve the issue, offered the affected individuals the opportunity to retake the CBT for free through Pearson VUE.

“However, the council clarified that passing the retest would not guarantee reinstatement or automatic approval of pending applications,” it said.

“Those found guilty of fraud will face disciplinary hearings before an Independent Panel, which will determine whether they should remain on the register.

“Meanwhile, applicants whose CBT results were invalidated must retake the test before their applications can be reconsidered.

“So far, 202 cases have been reviewed, resulting in 183 application refusals due to character concerns. Only nine applications have been approved, while six of the nine appeal cases have been dismissed.

“Since March 2024, the NMC has held 12 fraudulent entry hearings, leading to the removal of 10 nurses from the register, while two were cleared of any wrongdoing.

“The council has assured affected individuals that it is working to resolve cases as quickly as possible and has provided support for those struggling with the process,” the report added.

Source: Ripples Nigeria